We all know Spanish language is so popular. Learning Spanish is a good choice, particularly because the US and Canada are in the same hemisphere and do business with many Latin American countries. In fact, as a romance language, Spanish can open the door to communicating with millions of other people who speak one of the other romance languages. Such common understandings can create bridges to the European continent as well. Let”s see some interesting facts about this beautiful language.
- In 2015, nearly 470 million people spoke Spanish as their mother tongue.
- The number of people with the ability to communicate in Spanish grew to nearly 559 million.
- Spanish is the world’s second most spoken mother tongue after Chinese (second in terms of number of speakers).
- For demographic reasons, the number of mother-tongue Spanish speakers is continuing to rise, while the proportions of Chinese and English mother-tongue speakers are falling.
- 6.7% of the world’s population is Spanish speaking. This figure is predicted to rise to 7.5% by 2030, and within three or four generations, 10% of the world will understand Spanish.
- More than 21 million people study Spanish as a foreign language worldwide.
- Spanish is the third-most-used language online after English and Chinese.
- 7.9% of internet users communicate in Spanish.
- Spanish is the second-most-used language on the two main social networks, Facebook and Twitter, and is second-most-used language on Twitter in major anglophone cities like New York and London.
- By 2050, there will be 530 million Spanish speakers, of which 100 million will be living in the United States.
- The largest minority group in the United States is Hispanics. They have become not only a powerful group in terms of buying power, but also represent a key demographic group for national, state and local politics. The U.S. Hispanic vote can shift the results of a presidential election. In particular, Florida, whose population is comprised of over 20% Hispanics.
Now that you know a few of the important facts about the relevance of learning the Spanish language, take a step further and start learning Spanish now! Do you prefer to take a free trial class before taking a decision? Click here and fill out this form. We”ll write you back in less than 24 hours.